Driven - Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4×4 Legend RS AT
- Price: From R828 600
- Engine: 2.8-litre turbodiesel
- Power/Torque: 150kW/500nm
The Hilux nameplate dates back to 1968, and since those early days, it has been a loved nameplate worldwide, more so in South Africa. I spent time sampling the latest edition Hilux in its top of the range 2.8-litre GD-6 4x4 Legend RS. (RS is an acronym for Roller Shutter, more on that later.)
In terms of looks, my unit was dressed in the new Oxide bronze paint colour and is instantly a head-turner. While most of the noticeable changes are upfront, with new slim-line headlamps, a new front grille as well as a new bumper. Other changes also see the Legend RS receive two-tone 18-inch alloy wheels with a machined surface and darkened centre caps that look really good.
One of the features that was loved by everyone we came across, had to be the motorised Roller Shutter, operated by buttons on the load bed, it makes it easier to open the load bed and makes anyone look cool while doing it. While I did not find the Legend RS practical because of the Motorized Roller shutter, lack of adequate tie-down hooks, as well as the sports bar which takes most of the space in the load bed, I do think that these are now lifestyle bakkies and not really workhorses. Buyers of these particular models will most likely not be using the bakkie as a workhorse and I would suggest that if you wanted to get a workhorse, get the Raider models or just the Legend Models instead.
While I have driven almost every bakkie on offer in South Africa, the Legend RS gained a lot of attention.
The interior boasts an all-new 8-inch infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality, allowing users to mirror applications off their mobile phones. Google Maps and Waze are also included, and occupants can access their music libraries and streaming accounts via Apple Music, JOOX, Spotify and SoundCloud. Wireless telephony is supported via Bluetooth with a USB input for additional media options.
While the optional 9-speaker JBL Premium Sound System trumps segment rivals in terms of quality, my gripe in the interior is the lack of USB ports in the cabin. I also feel that the cabin needs a little TLC and I think the addition of heated seats would also make the Legend RS favourable in the winter mornings.
The Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4×4 Legend RS AT is powered by a 2.8-litre GD-6 engine that now delivers 150kW and 500Nm. While the ride feels a bit stiff and hard at low speeds, once you get going it just becomes smoother and smoother. Both highway, city and offroad driving feel really amazing and I have to say that Toyota trumps every other rival in this segment.
The other area that really impressed me was the fuel consumption department, the fuel gauge just did not move, and this is because Toyota engineers have improved fuel economy by adopting a larger turbocharger and a new common-rail injection system.
Thanks to new spring rates, shock absorbers and suspension bushes which deliver more agile handling and improving ride comfort, the ride comfort has been taken well care off without compromising off-road performance.
- Single Cab 2,0 VVTi S: R291,100
- Single Cab 2,0 VVTi S AC: R299,800
- Single Cab 2,7 VVTi RB S: R386,700
- Single Cab 2,4 GD S: R328,400
- Single Cab 2,4 GD S AC: R337,200
- Single Cab 2,4 GD-6 RB SR: R414,500
- Single Cab 2,4 GD-6 RB Raider: R447,800
- Single Cab 2,4 GD-6 RB Raider AT: R466,100
- Single Cab 2,4 GD-6 4×4 SR: R482,000
- Single Cab 2,4 GD-6 4×4 Raider: R520,700
- Single Cab 2,8 GD-6 RB Raider AT: R532,300
- Single Cab 2,4 GD-6 4×4 Raider AT: R540,900
- Single Cab 2,8 GD-6 4×4 Raider AT: R602,400
- Xtra Cab 2,4 GD-6 RB Raider: R460,000
- Xtra Cab 2,4 GD-6 RB Raider AT: R478,200
- Xtra Cab 2,8 GD-6 RB Legend: R550,000
- Xtra Cab 2,8 GD-6 RB Legend AT: R574,900
- Xtra Cab 2,8 GD-6 4×4 Legend: R622,000
- Xtra Cab 2,8 GD-6 4×4 Legend AT: R647,300
- 2,7 VVTi RB S: R440,000
- 2,4 GD-6 RB SR: R476,900
- 2,4 GD-6 RB Raider: R505,200
- 2,4 GD-6 RB Raider AT: R521,200
- 2,4 GD-6 4×4 SR: R549,200
- 2,4 GD-6 4×4 Raider: R583,700
- 2,4 GD-6 4×4 Raider AT: R609,500
- 2,8 GD-6 RB Legend: R620,500
- 2,8 GD-6 RB Raider AT: R631,900
- 2,8 GD-6 RB Legend AT: R696,200
- 2,8 GD-6 4×4 Raider AT: R706,400
- 2,8 GD-6 4×4 Legend: R733,500
- 4,0 V6 4×4 Legend AT: R765,200
- 2,8 GD-6 4×4 Legend AT: R765,600
- 2,8 GD-6 4×4 Legend RS: R819,000
- Double Cab 2,8 GD-6 4×4 Legend RS AT: R851,100
All Hilux models have a 3-year/100,000 km warranty and a 9-services/90,000 km service plan.